Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Things I Don't Understand

'Merica is pretty ugly lately.  I've gotten into numerous conflicts on FB as I've argued over the cause/solutions to our country's problems.  I will admit it, sometimes I just don't "get" how some people think. There are many things happening in our country that confound me and confuse me.  The first is the uproar over the new requirement to purchase health insurance.

The argument is that the government shouldn't require people to buy insurance, especially if they can't afford it.  Lots of people are enraged over that requirement.  Ok, well then, where's the outrage over required car insurance?  Isn't it the same principle?  The government, in this case the state government, requires everybody to have insurance or you can't drive a car.  In Maryland, you will not get tags for your car if you do not provide proof of insurance on your application.  Sure, people drive without it, but it is against the law and you'll face consequences if caught.  Right now, the only option for people without health insurance is to get really sick and then go to the emergency room.  No preventative care for them, only emergency treatment.  We, those of us paying for insurance, ultimately pay for the hospital visits of those without it. So is it with car insurance.  Ever have an accident with someone who is not insured?  Your insurance company will be stuck with all costs, and trust me, your future rates will pay them back.  So, if someone could explain to me how requiring car insurance is different from requiring health insurance, I'd appreciate it.  'Cause frankly, I just don't understand.

The second thing that absolutely confounds me is kids involved in cyber bullying that leads to suicide.  So much I don't understand about that.  Why are kids so damn mean?  Why do they take pleasure in driving someone into such a deep depression they choose to end their life?   I taught middle school, and I dealt with bullying as best as I could.  But, thanks to our social media, the stakes have risen to a new level.  My sister works at a private school.  She's told me about the cyber bullying going on at her school and the way families often "deal" with it.  The parents come into school and demand the school do something about it.  Huh?  This is going on in their homes on their computers.  Why is the school responsible?  Is it because parents refuse to take some necessary steps themselves?  Step one, parents, take the electronics away from your kids.  No more Facebook accounts, no more texting, sexting whatever.  Step two, get your bullied kid into counseling immediately.  Ultimately, we can't control the behavior of others.  So, get your kid and family the counseling they need.  You may be very uncomfortable with what comes out during the sessions, but the help is imperative.  How did society go from 'Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me' to name calling leading to suicide?  I just don't understand.

I don't understand our current Congress.  These "public servants" are proving themselves to be anything but.  It is the people, their constituents, who are being hurt by the current shutdown of America.  Why are those in Congress so damn stubborn?  Is it because they can no longer relate to the people who elected them since their pay checks haven't stopped?  their health care is not in jeopardy?  their immediate needs are being satisfied? Don't autocall me, Andy Harris, to tell me how proud you are to be stalling the government.  Start doing your damn job!  All of this turmoil is weakening the United States in the eyes of the world.  I don't understand how anyone calling themselves a "patriot" doesn't get that.  Will people remember these days and vote accordingly during the next election?  I doubt it.  It seems that electing politicians anymore is like the elections held in high schools, popularity contests.  Elect me!  Elect me! I'm good looking, I'm saying what you want to hear, and I have a lot of money to provide you with campaign buttons.  Elect me!  I'll pretend to listen to your concerns.  Then, once in office I'll do whatever I want.  I don't understand what has happened to America's elected officials.  When did they give up representing and caring about their people?

A little off topic (or maybe not since America is getting fatter and fatter) the last thing I just don't get is how come I have been following my Weight Watchers diet faithfully for two weeks and I've only lost three pounds?  Surely, I deserve to have lost at least ten, right?? I just don't understand it.

4 comments:

  1. Ok Barb, let me say this. I agree 100% that everyone man, woman and child should have health insurance. We are in agreement but not in favor of this plan. Some aspects yes, most no. Second, health insurance is not like car insurance. You do not have to have car insurance. You only have to have car insurance if you own a car. So there is a choice there. That is the difference. I agree with you on all other points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just don't have a problem with everybody being required to have insurance. Those of us who have, are thankful for it. Those of us who don't, wish they had it. But, I agree that this new act is not fully understood by anybody, and that is a problem. I agree there are aspects to it that I don't like. Only time will tell how it plays out.

      Delete
  2. Here is how "diet math" works. If you had not been losing those the three pounds during those two weeks, you would have been gaining three pounds. So your net loss is six pounds. That's how I do it! Congrats on your six pounds.

    Chris--another retired middle school teacher.

    ReplyDelete