Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dreams

Do you ever have bizarre dreams?  I've been having them all of my life. 

The one I awoke to this morning was excruciatingly embarrassing.  I dreamed I was on a Murder Mystery cruise.  Nothing wrong with that huh?  Well, my roommate/partner/whatever you want to call him was  a former student of mine who shall remain nameless.  He got into an altercation at the bar because he didn't like the piece of cake he ordered, and he demanded his money be returned. His disapproving aunt was a friend of a friend of a friend who doesn't even know this guy.  Why in the world did I dream of those two people?  These are people with whom I have little to no personal contact.  And why did I dream of them in a way that would make me blush if I were to tell the whole story?  (I will not be telling the story. Once I told Ron Luloff about a dream I had of monkeys in different colors.  He never looked at me the same way again.)

I had certain dreams as a kid that occurred so often, I remember them to this day.  One of them was a pretty typical dream.  I was able to fly, and I used to fly over the blacktopped playground of my elementary school.  That's an easy one to understand; I longed to be free during the school day.

Another one I had all the time involved World War II.  I lived in a hut on a tropical island. One day, soldiers invaded my hut.  They didn't find me though because I had turned into an oval-shaped braided rug.  They walked all over me, but I was safe from them and I could return to my natural state once they were gone.  I had this dream a lot.  Amateur psychologists?  Have at it.

One dream I had during college involved my father.  We were dressed as farmers with straw hats, overalls, and sh*t stoppin' boots.  Our chickens were ready to hatch so we were taking them to the farmers' market to sell.  Well, the truck broke down and the chickens hatched.  Only they weren't chickens, they were baby ducks.  As they ran all over the place, my dad was yelling at me.  He blamed me for the mix-up with the eggs, and he was furious that I couldn't round up those bright yellow balls of fluff (yes, I dream in color).  Are you amateur psychologists still on the job?

Far too many of my dreams leave me feeling anxious.  While they aren't about something currently worrying me, I suspect the anxiety is from the worry I try to suppress.  Do all adults have this kind of dream?  Or are some of you having the sweet dreams we always wish for each other?

Please, if you dare, share your dreams.  I'm curious.  And I promise, I will not psychoanalyze you!

No comments:

Post a Comment