Monday, May 6, 2013

Teacher Appreciation Week

I am a retired middle school teacher.  For thirty years I worked in what is considered in my county to be a Route 40 school, or in other words, a rough school.  I loved my job. Well, maybe not every day; and if I'm truthful there was one full year that I'd have given anything to be anywhere else.  But in retrospect, I loved my school, the teachers in the trenches, the kids I taught, and I'm proud of the job I did.  Not every student liked me.  I was often overtired and overstressed, so maybe there were a few too many days I was overcranky. Not every parent trusted me.  And frankly, there were quite a few of them who could not have withstood the scrutiny through which they put me.  Despite the mistakes I made (because, even though teachers are supposed to be perfect, I was far from it), I worked hard to do my best and prepare my students for their futures.  I took great pride in my job.

That's why, every time I read something that starts with "those teachers" I see red.

Too often, the general public speaks in generalities when they talk about teachers.  Those teachers in (name your school) don't care about the kids.  All those teachers do is sit on their butts and tell kids to open a book.  Those teachers are so greedy, always asking for more money.  Those teachers have it so easy; they only work nine months a year and get paid for twelve. Those teachers have it so easy; they close schools and don't work when it even threatens to snow.  Those teachers wouldn't just give Johnny the points he needed to get straight A's so he can go to college.  Those teachers....I could go on, but I feel my blood pressure rising to a dangerous level.

I get really upset every year when it is salary negotiation time.  Unfortunately, teacher salaries are negotiated in public, and everybody has an opinion about them.  Letters to the editor where teachers try to explain to the public the multi-tasking and the overtime that goes into their jobs, or the contractual promises that are being completely ignored are often answered with the  most bitter responses. Usually teachers are told to feel lucky they have a job. (Lucky? Ok, you spend all week guiding 170 seventh graders to do what they don't want to do.  Then, tell me how lucky I was.  That is, if you survive the week.) Or, they are told they are whining.  Seriously? Whining? Their binding contracts are regularly being treated as suggestions rather than the legal documents they are! 

But what upsets me the most is the silence on the part of the Board of Education during this crucial time.  Why are the teachers the only ones trying to reach out and educate the public about the realities of the job and the salary?  Why is the BoE not actively soliciting the public to support the teachers?   Why isn't the BoE flooding the media with reports of the excellent work done by the teachers? Why doesn't the BoE respond to the viciousness aimed at teachers during this process?  Why indeed?

My personal opinion is that the BoE really doesn't care about its teachers.  And that transfers to its not really caring about the students in this county.  Keeping the public angry at those greedy teachers certainly focuses the attention to anything but them, their budget, and any mismanagement of the funds entrusted by the public to the school system.  When has there been a line-by-line examination of the budget and documented suggestions for budget cuts other than teacher salaries?  Can we say together, NEVER.  It is in the best interest of all to have a salary and benefits program to entice the best teachers to our county.  Why isn't the BoE concerned that too many of them are going elsewhere? 

So, here it is folks, Teacher Appreciation Week.  Should you wish to celebrate it, may I make a few suggestions that will truly be appreciated?  Think twice before griping to the other soccer moms about those teachers. Send a note to your child's teacher(s) thanking them for their efforts and maybe mentioning something specific the teacher did to help your child.  Don't worry about buying the teacher a trinket.  I still have the notes written to me, but many of the trinkets have disappeared over the years.

Most importantly, I ask you to support the meager raises teachers negotiate each year.  Yes, I know you're a taxpayer and in this economy, you feel like you can't afford to give them their due.  Remember though, teachers sometimes spend more time with your kids than you do.  So treat them well. You'll be glad you did.


2 comments:

  1. Ms. Synder,

    I just found your blog and if it is of any comfort to your opinion, you remain in my memory as tough but highly influential.

    I have a good friend in a teacher with whom you once worked and if the county (or country) only knew the insane amount of money she spends just to allow her students the opportunities to possibly succeed, teacher's salary cuts in budget discusions would not be on the agenda.

    You are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris.
    Teachers often spend a lot of their own money. If only the public understood and cared. I know which teacher you're referring to, and she has given a lot of herself above and beyond the requirements of her job.

    ReplyDelete