Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Godgirl's Getting Married

My Godgirl's getting married next week.  I find it so hard to believe that this child is really truly a grown woman.  It seems like yesterday that I sat at Vancherie's with her parents when they asked me to be one of her Godmothers.  Sarah has two Godmothers, Aunt Dawn and me; that's how much love there is to go around.  There's never been an ounce of jealousy between us, just a family bond that's grown stronger and stronger as we've watched our child grow.

Sarah was the prettiest baby I'd ever seen.  And that's not prejudice on my part, as many other people frequently commented on her kiss-shaped mouth and her dark shiny eyes. She was often my model in the old days when I thought I had a future as a photographer.  Some of my favorite pictures of her were taken the day she romped with my dog, Lucy.  She wore the blue dress I'd brought her from my trip to Indonesia as she flew around the yard playing with my dog, her pigtails flapping in her whirlwind.  She wore big red glasses then, which I thought were adorable.  However, that day she complained to me that she was ugly.  In fact, she said that I was prettier than she, so I realized how seriously in the dumps she was.  Sarah outgrew the feeling of being ugly, but she has never became a diva despite the fact that she is a striking beauty within and without.

My Sarah was not a perfect child, heck no.  She made me crazy that she never properly thanked people (me!) for gifts.  So one year, I decided the girl needed an etiquette book and I gave her one as a birthday present.  It was Grover's Guide to Good Manners.  She laughs about it to this day; but she writes gracious thank you notes.  Godmother duty done.

Sarah always enjoyed doing things with her mom, her gram, her family, and me.  One of my favorite evenings ever was when the four of us (Gram, Dee, me, and Sarah) went to St. Maryanne's Episcopal Church for an evening of Zydeco.  She outdanced the three of us.  Keeping up with her kept us young!  Father Rory will attest to that fact as he rode the rides with her every year at the Havre de Grace Carnival. Dee and I first took her to the beach when she was three.  She took to the water and the sand immediately.  She has always enjoyed family time, and we adults in her life have always treasured that quality in her.

I was concerned when I realized that Sarah would be in my seventh grade language arts class.  I was afraid for her, worried that her classmates would be nasty to her if they perceived her as getting preferential treatment.  It was a wonderful school year!  Sarah's class was one of the smartest, nicest, most generous, and most caring group of young people I'd ever taught.  In fact, by the end of the year, some of the kids were calling me Aunt Ms. Snyder.  I had no problem with Sarah; but oh, her father gave me a fit the quarter she earned a B.  I don't think he ever forgave me.

Sarah's boyfriends were always a part of her family life.  They called me Aunt Barb, too.  I have liked all of her boyfriends.  However, the night I met John, I knew he would be the one.

Dee had a group of "the kids" over one evening for beer, snacks, and board games.  John was shy, but he called me Aunt Barb from the start and I liked that quality in him right away.  As we played Apples to Apples, John and I kept giving similar answers.  We were on the same wavelength.  That did it for me.  An evening of laughter and beer, a goodbye bear hug from him, and I knew I was in love! 

So here we are now.  Preparing for a wedding next week.  Sarah is very worried because the cicadas are due to make their debut right around the day of their nuptials. Of course, the wedding and reception are outdoors.  However, when I talked to her mom this morning, Dee put this phenomena into perspective.  She told me that she remembered bringing Sarah home all those years ago, and the cicadas were singing their tune as she carried Sarah into her new home.  Dee felt like the music was a concert for her daughter.  Looks like there will be similar music again next Saturday.  But, to Dee, that sound will be the circle of life, nature's celebration for this special child.  What a great way to view the cicada invasion!

Congratulations to Sarah and John!  May their life together be blessed with joy, optimism, and family.  Aunt Barb loves you both.


No comments:

Post a Comment