Friday, November 8, 2013

Procrastination

One of the downsides to my retirement is that it has allowed one of my bad habits to flourish.  I am a procrastinator.  A certified procrastinator.  Yes indeed, I even have the certificate to prove it!  Years ago the Procrastinators of America allowed you to join their organization for a small donation.  I eventually got around to sending the donation, they eventually got around to sending the certificate, but I never got around to renewing my membership.  I'm sure, though, that I continue to be a member of this fine organization because I'm sure they rarely get around to clearing their files.

But I digress.  The point I had started to make was that because I am retired and under few actual time restraints, I can put off until tomorrow just about everything.  However, that stuff needs to get done!!  I just don't feel like doing it ... today. Or in some cases, this week, this month, or even this year.

When I taught, doctor appointments were always tricky.  I'd schedule the annual ones for the summer.  The regular ones I'd try to fit in without having to make plans for a substitute.  I'd "get 'er done" because I had to do it.  Scheduling was a must in order to complete all the demands on my days.  They were the good old days of regular wellness check ups.

All this talk of health care has reminded me of all the  check-ups I haven't had in months, years, or forever.  I need to get to the dentist. I have health insurance and I should take advantage of those teeth cleanings and check-ups. I hate the dentist. But, I love my teeth.  Gotta get there...one of these days.  It's been so long that I actually had to do internet research to remember my gyno's name.  I wonder if she'll remember me?  Breast Cancer Month passed with me thinking, I gotta get those babies squashed one of these days.  And Nancy, I have not forgotten your kind offer a few years ago to take me to my colonoscopy appointment, whenever I make it. Sigh.  I'll be mad as hell at myself if I do finally get these things done and find out I let something  awful go undiagnosed.  Mad as hell.

Yes, I need to make these appointments.  Soon.  But, you know, the holidays are coming up and they're going to be so busy....

No comments:

Post a Comment