Monday, June 17, 2013

WTH

Some may say I got up on the wrong side of the bed today.  WTH.  I'm retired.  A curmudgeon.  And I'll get up on any side of the dang bed I wish to exit.  Today I'm finding myself extremely irritable.  Maybe it's the heat because I am not running my air conditioning.  Maybe I'm cranky because I spend too much time on social media.  Whatever.  Today I'm in a mood and I plan to release said mood by venting. Following is my list of what annoys me today. 

News That Isn't News
I am sick and tired of social media creating news from things that just aren't news worthy. Where to start?  Ok, how about the recent furor over the Hispanic young  man who sang the national anthem?  WTH!  So, a few anonymous racists wrote deragatory things about him.  Why is the public so surprised? So outraged? They know that racism exists towards the Hispanics in our country; after all - social media accounts are bolstered by all the "forwards" about Spanish not being our country's national language.

WTH does anyone care if signs are bi-lingual?  If phones ask you to press 2 if you want your message in Spanish? If TV ads sing a Spanish song?  What does it matter?  Our country's official language is English, and that's not changing.  When I was in Honolulu, most signs were in English and Japanese.  I didn't hear any outrage over that.  So why all the umbrage every time Spanish is spoken/written in this country?  (Could it have anything to do with the color of many of those speaking Spanish?) I get the feeling that the people complaining the loudest are the same ones who when/if they travel abroad grumble that everything is in a foreign language and nothing's in English.  Get over it. Our country needs to embrace bilingualism (says the person who realizes most Americans can't even speak proper English).

Weather Reports
WTH  Lately I've come to believe that our weather people see themselves as oracles.  Why does every weather report become Armageddon?  We don't have rain storms - we have tornadoes and hurricanes that blow the east coast to the west coast.  We don't have snow storms - we have blizzards that will send us back to the ice age.  Or so the weather people would like us to believe. "News" stations must interrupt regularly scheduled programs to make sure we know it is snowing, raining, whatever. Why? So Americans don't have to get off the couch to look out the window?  WTH  Weather reports work people into a frenzy to get to the grocery store before the storm.  And the public shops in droves before the storm.  What are they buying?  Look in a few carts - chips, cookies, cake, JUNK!  What really annoys me though, are the constant mini-weather reports that happen ALL DAY LONG while we, the public, wait for the storm that never gets here!! Or my favorite, the all day snow reports on all three major stations for the snow storm that never crippled the city.  I have a niece who is anxiety-ridden because of the weather.  We were out to dinner once, and a television at the fast food place ran a ticker about an upcoming snow storm.  The kid went into a panic and demanded we leave at that very moment.  I could barely calm her down.  Turns out, there are a lot of kids who have become terrified of the weather, not just my niece.   ENOUGH of the severe weather warnings.  Stop scaring the kids!!! (and annoying me, of course)  Yeah, you said it was going to thunderstorm today.  Well, pox on you weather mongers.  I hanged (hung?) my laundry out to dry, and it is done! Ha! Never would have done it had I listened to you! WTH

Whew. 

Only two rants and I am feeling better.  I need to turn off the TV and sit outside to read my book.  But, if you read through this whole thing, you've  already come to that conclusion, haven't you?

Have a great day.  Don't let the little stuff get you down.  Unless of course, you're desperate for a blog topic.



No comments:

Post a Comment