Thursday, February 28, 2013

I Went To a Funeral Today

I went to a funeral today.  And yes, it was sad.  Very sad.  The younger brother of one of my dearest friends died suddenly of a heart attack.  The shock to us all?  He was only fifty-seven. So, so sad.

Yet, I have to say, his memorial service was awesome!  I was so touched by the assemblage of people meeting to pay homage to Jim.  What a motley crew!  One big group was very old; he was a cook at the senior center where his parents presently reside.  Another group was an interesting study, three rows sitting off to the side with a variety of men-different ages, different colors, different clothing, and different degrees of health.  I wondered about them, until a speaker identified himself as Jim's sponsor, and then I knew who they were.  What an honor that they openly gathered to remember him.  The young girl sitting beside me kept a softly spoken running dialogue as she agreed with the tributes being offered by the speakers.  There were many young people who had worked with him, and they came out in full force to say goodbye.  His family spoke lovingly of their sibling, and there were many touching moments in their speeches.  When the youngest brother faltered as he spoke, one by one his siblings joined him at the platform to physically and emotionally hold him up.  His special needs sister touched us all when she started her talk by saying that she didn't have a piece of paper, but she had her memories. What a tribute to this man who by all appearances was a bit of a loner who loved to fish, cook, and ride his bicycle.  But, holy cow, the many, many lives touched forever by this man!  Awesome.

We should all be spoken of so highly and so lovingly after we pass.

I have some unconventional wishes for my funeral.  My sister is aware of them, and if I go before her, I expect her to honor my requests.  I want a cheap pine box casket, closed at the service.  Beside it I want a huge basket of various colored magic markers.  I want everybody there to write messages on my casket.  I want children to draw on it.  Believe me, if I can arrange it, I'll be watching what you write.  I promise not to haunt you for any misspellings or poor punctuation.  Then, I want the beautiful box cremated (with me and my dogs' urns in it, of course).  I haven't figured out what should be done with my ashes.  I'm not fussy.  The ocean would be fine with me.  But please be warned, this retired teacher is retired.  Don't go dumping my ashes in the bushes at HdG Middle!  I want no flowers, give them to me while I live. If you feel a need to do something, please contribute to a charity that benefits children.

And, if you can, please say something nice about me at the service.  I'd really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment