Monday, February 18, 2013

703

I recently finished the autobiography of a woman close to my age, a woman with an incredible story to tell of how she once weighed 703 pounds.  Yes, I said 703, no dyslexia involved in reporting that number.   This was not a diet book as she never really told what she did to lose that weight.  But I do know, no surgery was involved (until afterwards when reconstructive surgery was a must).  What happened?  How could a person get that fat and live?

She really didn't live.  She survived in a self-imposed prison.  Her childhood was awful, abusive, and loveless.  As an adult, she felt unworthy and coped by eating.  And eating.  And eating.  Until she could no longer move.  What changed her life was simple; she got a computer, the internet, and made friends who didn't judge her appearance. She stopped punishing herself. It took years before she could leave her home comfortably, both in her movements and her appearance before a cruel public.  As amazing as her story, what she left me with was her simple and deep appreciation of the natural beauty around her.   It was all so new to her after years of isolation, of being on the inside of her tiny apartment and looking out.  The simplest things, sitting on a park bench while listening and watching children play, getting a job cleaning houses, fitting into a car, filled her with joy.  For many years she had dulled her senses with food, and when that stopped, her world blossomed.

I get it.  I understand her appreciation  of life.  I marvel at her forgiveness.  I like her stop-to-smell-the-roses attitude.  So, I'm making her experience my challenge...I want to notice the simple, the good and the beauty in life, and I want to relish in it.

Last night when I took out my trash, I looked up at the sky.  And stopped dead in my tracks.  It was beautiful.  The moon was my favorite shape, a sharp crisp crescent. The stars were brightly shining despite the clouds that drifted in the indigo sky.  What was so absolutely cool and amazing was how the moving clouds seemed to stay in place and it looked like the stars were turning kaleidoscope fashion around me.  I never saw that phenomenon in the sky before, and I was mesmerized.

This morning I experienced another natural delight.  I saw a female cardinal in my dogwood tree.  What is so delightful about that you ask?  How many of you have ever noticed the females?  The male cardinals have bright red feathers that create a slash of crimson one can't miss.  But the lady cardinal had subtle red flashes under her tail and her wings that were really pretty when they peeked at you. 

Recently, I shared dinner for the Chinese New Year with a group of Chinese exchange students.  When I asked one young lady what she liked most about America, she didn't talk about TV, clothes, cars, etc.  She loves the fresh air.  The air!  Me too, although I take it for granted.  Today I smelled spring in the air, it was earthy and clean.  I have smelled snow in the air and rain.  I left the house this morning and took the time to inhale and exhale some deep, deep breaths.  I felt energized.

Life is tough.  Life is precious.  I've got the tough part down pat; here's to appreciating the precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment