Monday, October 1, 2012

My First Love

Thought I was going to talk about boys, huh?  No way.  I learned at an early age what true love is.  Books.  I LOVE books.

I love to read.  Love it.  People think I was born with a book in my hand, but actually I began school as a struggling reader.  In my day, we learned sight words from the big book in the front of the room.  I sat in the back of the room, and I was very nearsighted.  So nearsighted that when we had our annual eye test at school, I would listen to the kids ahead of me, memorize what they said and pretend to read the eye chart.  So, rather than have my disability diagnosed, I struggled tremendously, and my mean second grade teacher just thought I was stupid and gave up on me. 

I remember a book all the kids were reading.  Finally, it was my turn to take it home!  I couldn't read it.  My dad tried to help me, but he got frustrated; and I remember lots of yelling and sobbing, some of it my dad's.  But I also remember the joy of reading my first story fluidly.  It was from the Dick and Jane readers (just google it, youngsters).  Sally had gotten lost.  When the policeman found her, he asked her name.  Of course, she said it was Sally.  When he asked her last name, she also replied Sally.  Sally Sally!  I thought that was the funniest story on earth and I read it to anybody who would listen.

 Eventually in third grade, I could no longer fudge the eye test.  I got my first pair of glasses, caught up with my reading class, and never looked back.

My mother used to get so annoyed with me;  she thought I read too much.  She'd tell me to go outside and play.  I'd sneak a book into the waistband of my shorts, and find a place where she couldn't see me.  I'd read all afternoon.  When a library opened up in the high school across the street from me, I was in heaven!  The librarian was a bit of a pain; she always thought she knew what I should read.  Eventually, I got cranky enough with her interference that she left me alone.  Heaven! Hardy Boys? Heck no.  Trixie Beldon?  Nancy Drew?  Oh yes!

The year I bought my house, I had no money for anything other than the basics.  But because I read, I was never without something to do.  Thank you public libraries!  I read 365 books that year.

Retirement has been a boon to my hobby.  How wonderful it is to read what I want, when I want, and as much as I want.  It's all about me and the book.  Authors are my heroes and I attend book signings every chance I get.  I was excited to meet Jean Auel and Debbie Macomber.  While on my recent vacation, I met a local author in a small bookstore and was thrilled to buy her book and have it personalized.  I treasure my autographed books.

I need to tell you about my favorite source for books.  Paperbackswap.com   I discovered this website years ago, and I love it.  I thought I'd use it to get rid of my excess books.  Ha!  I have a personal library now, a room overflowing with books, books, and more books.  As soon as I read one, I trade it back or pass it on. Yet, the To-Be-Read pile continues to explode.  I doubt I'll live long enough to read all my books.  Hopefully, there will be libraries in the next life!

In future blogs, I will recommend some of my favorite reads.  Maybe you'll share your faves with me.  I sure hope so.

I need to close because I hear someone calling my name.  What? What do you say?  Ok, Lisbeth Salander...I'm coming.  Stay out of that hornet's nest!





1 comment:

  1. I try to carry a book with me everywhere I go. I remember picking up Staring Sally J Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume on the last day of second grade and taking all summer to finish it. It was way above my reading level but I was determined to finish it. It is still one of my all time favorites today. I am so jealous of your library! It's my dream to have a room dedicated to books. I always picture the library in Beauty in the Beast.

    ReplyDelete