Friday, March 14, 2014

Money

Money makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round......  Did you simply read that or did you visualize Joel Grey, Cabaret, and find yourself humming along?

Few of us have enough of it.  Judging from media stories of exorbitance, some of us have too much of it. I have yet to meet the person that has just the right amount.

Do you ever fantasize about what you'd do if a huge amount of cash just plopped down into your lap? I have.  I'd donate a ton of it directly to teachers for their classrooms.  I've dreamed of setting up a Make a Wish Foundation type organization for them.  I'd read through the applications like I used to grade my papers.  Good writing skills? Clear sentences? Excellent spelling?  Those A+ requests would go to the head of the line.  Of course, I would donate to my church.  Now that we have a real rector, I'd enjoy using my money to help the memberships and missions expand.  I'd gladly put to rest the money worries that drain people close to me of some of their joy of life.  I'd continue doing random acts of kindness, but on a grand scale.  What fun that would be! I'd get my house repainted, recarpeted, and refloored.  Yep, I'd even spring for a new bathroom and a walk-in closet.  Because I'd have money, I'd probably also need a security system.  I don't have a desire to move, but a condo on a beach would be nice to visit.

Too much money would destroy one of the activities I really enjoy.  I love bargains and bargain shopping. The thrill is in the hunt and the find at the yard sale, at a Boscov's markdown, or on Kohl's mystery discount days. Who wants to shop if you can afford anything you want?  Who would even know what they want?  I'd want everything I saw... for a while anyhow.

I have never been able to make a budget and stick strictly to it.  A few years ago, I recorded all of my expenses so I could see exactly where my money was going.  It was mind-boggling how those miscellaneous expenses added up.  I'm doing it again this year and comparing it to that first year I recorded my expenses.  Although I make the same number of entries per month, I am spending so much more on gas and groceries.  I wish my income was growing in such leaps and bounds. While I don't budget, this book helps me keep an eye on what I spend and where I need to curtail my expenses.  It helps a lot in managing my money.  If you've never done this, I recommend giving it a try.  It's eye-opening to see where it all goes.

But there's the rub.  And the reason money worries me.  It always goes.  I can't see where I can cut the expenses by a whole lot.  Though I live frugally as it is, it seems like anytime I get ahead, something happens that causes me to hit the savings account.  Occasionally,  I can't sleep at night thinking about the what-ifs should financial disaster strike. I've been in this house for twenty plus years; you homeowners know what that probably means.

Sometimes I get angry.  I get angry at the Kanyes and Kims of the world who flaunt their greed and prosperity.  I get annoyed at the influence such displays of extravagance have on impressionable people who think they can only be happy if living like that.  I get angry at puffy politicians who have theirs and continually deny others who need help. There's a fundraising group for wounded warriors? Our government isn't there for them? That's shameful. Movie stars, overpaid athletes, puffy politicians -- give back a little.  It would help a lot.

My mother would be turning over in her grave if she knew I was writing about money.  That is the one thing she thought no one should ever discuss with acquaintances, let alone strangers.  She's probably right, but I didn't give away too many personal details.  Did I?  I muse about many things, money only being one of them.  Forgive me, Mom.

                                                               ********

"Let us all be happy and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with."

  --  Charles Farrar Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment