Saturday, March 22, 2014

Bill Horner

The past two days have been Spring-like.  Looking at the tree in my front yard gives me hope that warm and sunny weather is on the way.  You see, the buds are forming on my pear tree.  When it explodes into blossoms, Spring will have finally sprung.  That's my semi-scientific theory about the change of seasons.  I ought to know, as this tree was a gift from my favorite science teacher, Bill Horner.

Bill was a science teacher at my middle school.  Correction, he was more than a science teacher, he was a legend.  And rightly so.  Walking into Bill's classroom was always an adventure. Students never knew what was going to happen.  It could be an actual rainstorm, thunder and all.  Maybe it would be an experiment using sulphur and turning the hallway into one long stink bomb.  Whatever happened, it was guaranteed to be fun.  Kids moved in science class.  Learning was hands on.  Kids laughed.  The teacher laughed. And everybody learned... a lot.

I always felt sorry for the science teacher who shared the other half of the team with Bill because very, very few kids wanted to be in that class.  Parents intervened and used all of their influence to make sure their kids had the Horner experience.  One year, the last of the Miller kids was assigned to the other teacher.  Bill had taught all the Millers (and there were a lot of them) and he was very fond of the family.  So, he approached the principal and asked to switch classes with the other teacher in order to teach the last Miller.  The other teacher, a newbie to our school, was indignant when his request was granted.  In fact, she cried and whined to anyone who would listen about how unfair it was.  I tried to explain the unspoken politics of a small close-knit school so she'd know not to take it personally, but to no avail.  She pouted the next few years, until she got a transfer.

Bill was a legend in the classroom, and he was the life of the party outside of it. The best parties were held at Bill's, and you were only invited if he wanted you. It took me a while to break into the circle, and I felt like I'd won a prize when I got my first invite.  His Christmas parties were the best.  Great food. Lots of booze. Enough people to pack his tiny house to the brim.   He was the leader of the faculty fraternity.  I'm not sure what all those guys did when they got together, but every now and then, a story would leak.  One year, I knew the guys were going over to his house for a guy thing on one of the last days of school.  I decided it was time to desegregate that party, so a few of us brave women also stopped by for a beer.  He laughed when we showed up at the door, but he handed out the cold ones and we stayed for a few.

Bill was my friend.  I used to tell him all the time that I wanted to marry him for his money.  The kids thought we made a good couple. In fact, one of the mothers of a student we had in common invited us both to dinner one time just to try to get a spark going between us.  I loved that man.  He used to tell anybody who would listen that I was the best English teacher in that school.  I wasn't, and I know that.  But, I just beamed when someone would tell me what he said.  He used to type encouraging letters to everybody.  I treasure those he sent me.  As I said, I loved that man.

When he finally reached his last day of teaching, it was a day during which the whole school honored him. Everybody wore neckties because Mr. Professional Teacher always wore a tie. My kids wrote a play portraying him as getting a college education during the dinosaur years.  They sang "The Wind Beneath My Wings" to him, and everybody teared up. He was one of a kind.  I was honored to teach with him and blessed to know him.

If you are reading this, and smiling to yourself with your own Bill Horner memories, please leave your stories in the comments section for all to see.  I never want to forget him.


6 comments:

  1. I knew Bill very well. When he first came to Havre de Grace he rented an eff apt in my Grandparents home on Warren St. (where I grew up). My grandmother aways addressed him as 'Mr Horner' though we would say to her “please call me Bill”. He had a couple of quirks that were strictly Bill Horner: He definitely didn't like being called by his last name.( I found that one out the hard way). The other that I remember very well was he had no patience for cars that wouldn't start the very first time. I can remember seeing him on some very cold mornings get in give it gas & turn the key, if it started put in gear & go. If not, get out slam the door & walk. But the most patient man with “his kids” I have ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was impatient and always in a hurry. But, you are so right about kids. He was patient with them and always determined that everybody would learn and love science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was so pissed that he let us touch and play with mercury! But, I loved his classes. And, I did always believe Ms Snyder was the best English teacher. She knows why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Joy! Now-a-days that mercury incident would be a lawsuit!

      Delete
  4. Barb, I could write a book about Bill Horner. I loved him dearly and times Bob and I spent with him were always filled with laughter. When Bob and I were first married, we used to "hang out" at his house and spent many evenings just sitting around sharing stories. When I was a cub scout den mother, (Bill was retired by then) I invited Bill to come and share some of his science experiments with our pack. He pulled up with his station wagon packed full with all kinds of stuff. It was very entertaining to say the least. The boys were all fascinated by him. He sent ME a thank you letter. Do you believe that? We used to get letters from him every once in a while, typed on his typewriter. I think I have all of them. He loved to stay connected with his friends. And oh yes, his Christmas parties were special. Lots of friends and tons of food thanks to Stan and Barbara. He loved them so much. I will miss him always. Bill was certainly one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Jackie! I loved that man and I feel so glad to have called him friend.

    ReplyDelete