Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Black History Month

I'm not sure what the current politically correct term is these days.  Perhaps it is African-American history month.  If so, forgive me my error, my heart is in the right place.

February is the month that schools are supposed to work the history of our Black population into the curriculum.  Right there is the problem in a nutshell.  Why are we "working" this part of our country's history into any curriculum anymore?  Why in 2014 is the curriculum in schools not yet fully integrated?  And why do the lesson plans provided focus on Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks?  Was there was no "history" in our country before and after those two?

As a language arts teacher, I felt an obligation to honor the people of the month.  My literature books offered a smattering of Langston Hughes, which was good, but not enough.  Then I discovered a non-fiction book, and I was able to develop a February curriculum that met my needs.  Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals is the true story of the integration of Little Rock High School.  It's an unforgettable story, and one that I had not heard before a Scholastic magazine offered an excerpt.
My students were awed by the story of what those children endured in order to go to school - threats of violence, name calling, physical attacks, and death threats to name a few of their daily obstacles.  Mr. Bobby Parks, a local legend, spoke to my class about the effects of the civil rights movement in our little city.  My students presented a dramatic reading that chronicled the history of the African people from the days of slavery to present day America.  It did my heart proud to see a racially mixed bunch of seventh graders singing "We Shall Overcome" in front of their peers.  I gave my students a month of learning meant to last them a lifetime.  It was an honor to do.

From what I understand, the books are no longer used by the teachers at my school.  The strict curriculum which guides their lessons includes no mention of Black History Month lessons.  This, of course, is another example of the schools expecting the impossible of their teachers -- stay on the curriculum, prepare for the test, and figure out some way to meet the requirements of BHM without losing your spot in the test driven curriculum.  Then, give a write-up of your activity so the school can document how dedicated it is to honoring the month without losing a beat in test preparations.

Somehow, our dedicated teachers do it the best that they can.  Kudos to those who care enough to do their very best.

'Cause they get to do it again next month.  Did you know that March is Women's History Month - the time to honor the women in our history?  What? you say.  There are women who changed the course of our world???  Who'd a thunk it?









1 comment:

  1. We need to get away from the standardized tests and back to teaching kids. Hopefully someday in the future we will not have to have designated history months and our schools can teach the true multi cultural history of our country in their general curriculum.

    ReplyDelete