Saturday, December 7, 2013

Blue Christmas

I've heard a lot of people commenting that they simply aren't feelin' Christmas.  What a relief to know I am not alone.

What does it take to get into the Christmas spirit?  I used to get into the holiday spirit easily, starting with the day before Thanksgiving.  Just the anticipation of days off from work, sleeping in, and eating lots of good food was enough to bring on the holiday happies. The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas was fun at school.  I abandoned the strictly regulated curriculum for fun writing assignments.  The kids loved the one (created and shared by my buddy Rachel Coutts at a professional development day) where they wrote a letter from the point-of-view of the turkey that convinced the farmer to eat something else for dinner.  The kids had a great time with the topic, and I had the pleasure of reading some very well-written persuasive papers. We watched the B&W version of It's a Wonderful Life which, at that time, many of them had never seen.  Then, they wrote about their world if they didn't exist to impact it.  It was another good batch of papers. Besides the fun activities, the kids were in good moods and it showed. Sometimes I even got cards, notes, and gifts. If you were lucky enough to teach one of the Callahan kids you were gifted with legendary baked goods.  I gave generously to charity and truly needy people.  I decorated my classroom.  I decorated my home.  I baked cookies, gave parties, tinseled a live tree, and sent and received tons of Christmas cards.  Christmas was THE SEASON in the old days.

I don't do any of that stuff any more.  I feel that void, I guess, when I bah humbug the holidays.

The decorations in the shopping centers don't put me in "the spirit."  I hate shopping in crowds.  The pressure to buy the "right" gift is ever on me.  I am disappointed when I give something and the recipient isn't thrilled.  (I know, I know, thrilled is asking a lot.)  It has become pretty common to give gifts by sending them home with people who will actually see the recipient.  There's something not quite right about exchanging gifts with people you no longer see. It's just not Christmassy! The Christmas specials on television are terrible.  Hallmark has been running 24/7 holiday movies since before Thanksgiving.  But have I seen a single Ebenezer Scrooge?  Heard the words, Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings? Been crooned a tune by the Bing?  No.  These movies are all fluffy romances with the same interchangeable cast of soap opera looking actors.  Boring!  I can't remember the last Christmas party I attended or hosted.  What a shame because I used to party the whole month.  The music on the radio are the same songs looped over and over again.  Dominic the Donkey is not Christmas, but in my opinion Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer is.  Guess which one I've heard a bazillion times and which one I have yet to hear? And snow?  We haven't had a whole lot of snow in years.  Today, it rained all day.  The world is grey and wet. Just like my mood.

So how do I handle my seasonal disorder?  Realistically by expecting little and enjoying what does occur.  First of all, I have given up on a month of holiday fun and festivities.  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - that's it for me.  And that's ok.  It helps me keep the meaning of the season in the forefront.  Advent services soothe my soul.  My charity donations are not so personal anymore, but I've written a bunch of checks lately.  I know I'm helping others, as I try to do throughout the year.  I don't exchange as many gifts as I once did, but at my age what do I need (that anybody I know can afford ha ha)? Cards and Christmas letters have gone the way of email and Facebook shout outs.  Saves me a lot of work, right?  I keep in perspective that I enjoy a good life, and that is something to celebrate every day of the year.  And if that doesn't work, I keep a box of wine chilling in the fridge.

Happy holidays to you!  Enjoy your Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, New Year's!  And if you know someone who's feeling a little blue this season, bake them a bunch of cookies and pour them a glass of wine.  Feel the spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment