Sunday, May 18, 2014

Now Where Did I Put That?

My goal today was to find two of my possessions that have been missing for months.  How could they be lost?  I have a small house. These things have their places, but they weren't there.

I spend a lot of my retirement looking for lost objects.  To be fair, I spent a lot of my working time looking for lost objects.  I have the prayer to St. Anthony on speed dial in my head.

Last July, I lost my keys.  That is a panicky loss.  I retraced my steps, emailed some HdG businesses to check their Lost and Founds, and tore things apart in the search.  Luckily, I keep a spare key at my friend Dee's house, so the loss wasn't a complete disaster.  The keys did turn up the next day, in my sister's purse. Don't ask either of us how they got there because we'll just point the finger at each other.

My high school yearbook went missing for years.  Years!  I exhausted all possibilities in the search for that book, but it was gone, and I mourned its loss.  A few months ago I decided to clean out the closet in the rarely used back bedroom.  I pulled a laundry basket full of linens out and emptied it so I could refold what I wanted to keep and discard the rest.  When I placed the navy blue basket on the floor to give me more room, it felt heavy.  There, at the bottom of the basket, was my navy blue yearbook.  How in the world did it end up there?

If I didn't know better, I'd think I had a problem like the one my buddy L. has.  Stuff disappears in his house. Then it reappears. Then more stuff disappears and reappears.  I told him that he has a ghost.  He denies it, even though his dog refuses to go down into their basement.  But that's another story.  I don't have a ghost.  I have a memory deficiency.

Today I was determined to find my jewelry making tools.  I had checked everywhere in the house, and this time I found them in my office where they were supposed to be.  They are kept in a black container that had fallen behind something else.  So, the room was straightened up a bit and the tools were recovered. Winning!

I've been looking for my CD case for so long, I was starting to think I'd have to get some modern technology thingie and download/upload/unload, whatever one loads,  all of my music.  I had been so frustrated for so long that I had convinced myself the guys at Jiffy Lube had stolen it the last time I had my car serviced.  Yep, they couldn't wait to get their hands on my show tunes!  Today was clean all the trash and junk out of my car day.  And I found my CDs tucked into a pocket in back of the passenger seat.  Hello Dolly!!

According to my scientific research on the internet, we spend roughly one whole year of our lives looking for lost items.  I don't know about you, but I need a better system to keep track of things.  As I age, time becomes more precious, and I'd much rather spend that year drinking  margaritas on a sunny Mexican beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment