Friday, April 18, 2014

When I Get Older, Losing My Hair Many Years From Now???????

My dear friend, Cathy Beaver, sent me a birthday card that made me laugh out loud.  She included a very funny list of things that made getting to our age a great thing.  I will be sixty-one three months before her, so here's a list for you readers, and especially Cathy, of my things that make old age not so bad. (I borrowed a few of hers, though, because they were important enough to be repeated.)  Feel free to share your favorites about the joys of getting old.

1.  Bathing suits. It no longer matters what you look like in a bathing suit.  You're old, it's expected you'll look bad.  So get a bikini if you want.  Who cares?

2.  Movie tickets.  The senior discount makes my matinee movie ticket cheaper than a kid's ticket.

3.  Senior moment.  That expression excuses a multitude of mistakes.  And you can't use it if you don't have some gray hair.

4.  Large print books.  We need them.  If you are requesting a wait list book at the library, the large print books are faster to get and help you to skip merrily up the list.

5.  Picking things up.  Young people are eager to help old people pick up things they have dropped.  It makes them feel good to help, and it saves grandpa/grandma's back.

6.  Cataract surgery.  I no longer need glasses to drive or to see (other than reading).  Young people pay a lot of money for lasik surgery.  My medical plan covered the cataract surgery with no charge to me.

7.  Relating musically to kids.  Young people will be fascinated to learn that many of the songs they were introduced to on Glee originated during our youth and we know all the words.  They are awed to realize some of the songs originated before they were born.

8.  Retirement.  We can stop worrying about getting or losing a job.  Workplace drama no longer keeps us awake at night.  We don't have to work anymore if retirement gives us a pension.  Mine does. :-)

9.  Less shaving.  I used to shave my legs every other day.  As I've aged, maybe I do it once a week.  The hair barely grows.

10.  Off-season vacations.  Dee and I took a cruise at the end of January.  It wasn't crowded and there were very few children to run up and down the halls, take over the swimming pool, and push all the elevator buttons at once.  The price was less than the cruise I took during the summer that was crawlin' with kids.

11.  Comfortable clothes.  When one is no longer dressing to seduce, it feels good to wear clothes.  Low heels. Stretchy waistbands. Flowing blouses.   Ahhhhh..........

12.  No fear of dying young.  'Nuff said.












2 comments:

  1. I relate to everyone of those. You know the kind of bathing suits I wear...lol. But as for the shaving. I never had to shave often when I was younger, Now I have hair growing everywhere except on my head. Damn aging....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to mention the freedom to fart in honor of you, but I passed. And yes, I do know your bathing suit....LOL

    ReplyDelete