Sunday, September 8, 2013

Church???

It's Sunday, and once again I'm not in church.  In fact, I'm watching a cheesy movie called Return to Peyton Place.  I'm feeling guilty, but not quite sure what to do about that guilt.

I've written before about my experience with my church of thirty years.  It soured me on churches.  Not God, churches.  I've visited other churches, but none have called my name.  None have felt like home.  For a long while, I was attending the church across the street from my old church.  It's a beautiful building with a wonderful pastor, but I don't feel any connection to its community.  I visited the latest flavor in mega churches and while the pastor is motivating and the people kind, it wasn't for me either. 

What's a gal to do?  I don't think that attending church in order to have a tax write-off in January is a very good idea.  But right now, I can't think of any other reason to go.

Pretty sad, huh?

Why do you go to your church?  Habit? Tradition? Or are you truly motivated because each visit makes your faith stronger, your life better?

I'm lost. 





3 comments:

  1. I am where you are. And sad because we were part of a community for 30+ years, only to find out we weren't. It has been hard to find a church that "calls our name." Yet, we yearn for it. So we are home this morning also, and feeling vaguely "off." {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several months back I started attending Epic on the club level at Ripken Stadium. I love it.... I've had a spiritual reawakening (or have been bonked over the head). I would love if you wanted to come visit one Sunday. Let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what your saying Barbara. I am in the same boat. I miss my church. I don't know where else to go right now. And every Sunday it hits me harder. Maybe I will go this Sunday. The minister who married Mark and I has a church in Canton. It's a United Church of Christ. I have been saying I need to go there since February and the wedding. I will let you know if I make it or not.

    ReplyDelete