Saturday, July 27, 2013

Where the Boys Are

I was watching "Where the Boys Are," one of my favorite movies.  It is  a classic film that showcases the moral values of the generation in which I was raised.  Teenagers today don't know what they're missing.

Dressing up to go on a date.  Does anybody do that anymore?  Seems like kids just hook up, meet in groups, and then pair off as the mood hits them.  I used to like getting something new to wear, layering on the makeup, and even wearing pantyhose and heels. Preparing made the evening feel like a promise of something special.

Saying no.  Yep, girls could do that and still be popular and find love.  Guys expected it, and were ok with it.  What could be easier?  Kids today rush into sex before they even know each other's last names.  I get it that this is the 2000's and people should feel free of guilt to do what feels good. But there are so many unspoken strings tied to sex that kids don't actually face until the act is over.  There's nothing wrong with sharing minds and goals before sharing bodies.  Is there?

Innocent fun.  The cops rolled their eyes at the influx of kids and did what they could to keep them safe.  There were no riots, murders, drug/alcohol overdoses, gang rapes, girls gone wild videos, etc.  These kids were pulled into the police station because they jumped in a mermaid pool at a local restaurant.  Good clean fun.

I don't know.  Was life back then really so easy?  Do the movies glamorize a fifties that never really existed?  Life is hard for kids anymore, especially if we judge it by the movies that are made for them (gore, violence, and more gore).  Maybe we need a little more "Where the Boys Are."  I know that I enjoyed the escape this afternoon.  Now, time to watch my other favorite, "Dirty Dancing."  That too is a classic film that showcases the moral values of the generation in which I was raised.

Hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment