Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Purpose in Life

Today I went back to St. John's Church after a two year absence.  I went because Fr. Nick would be the guest rector, and he always gives me lots to think about. Today I left pondering joy and the purpose of life.

I have to admit, when he first used the expression my thoughts drifted to the television show The Middle and the hippy dippy Reverend Tim Tom.  If you haven't watched that show, you're missing out.  Rev. Tim Tom is a guitar playing, platitude popping youth pastor.  He challenged his congregation to find their purpose in life which put Patricia Heaton's character on the road to a nervous breakdown. Fr. Nick encouraged us to identify our purpose and to reflect upon the joy it brings.

Hmmm.  For most of my life, I could easily identify a purpose. As a kid, my purpose was to do my best in school so I could ultimately become a teacher.  As a teen, I continued to study, but I think my secret purpose in life was to make my mother miserable.  I was very successful at that.  In college my purpose was balance so I could make the Dean's List while having a good time partying with my friends.  As a teacher, my purpose was clearly defined.  I wanted to teach, inspire, and help my students.  I loved the opportunities being a teacher gave me to help others, and not just in the classroom.

And then I retired.

My purpose in life is no longer so obvious, and I find myself asking the same question as Patricia Heaton's character.  However, I am not going to throw myself in hundreds of different directions in an attempt to answer the question.  Seriously, I'm too old and tired to do that.

I do, though, hope to be still and listen, to hear in my heart a call to know how and when to help.  In many ways, my life has been enriched by helping others.  Helping brings me joy.   Fr. Nick suggested that we ask ourselves if we found joy and if we brought joy in life.  That is a question I'm not ready to answer yet.  'Cause I still got a lot of living to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment