Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Are you prepared for the end???

Last night, I scared the heck out of myself. 

I take a bunch of pills every evening, and some of them are huge.  My calcium supplement looks like something the Jetsons would eat for a meal.  Usually, I grab the handful and pop them in my mouth, following up with a little water to wash them down.  "Rut-Ro" as Astro Jetson used to say; last night the horse pill caught in my throat and would not wash down.  What terrified me was that I could feel it blocking off my air supply, and I thought I might die.

My life passed before my eyes.  Not the past events, but my immediate concerns.  I hadn't updated my will.  Dang, now my crazy brother would end up with the share of my "fortune" that should go to my nieces. How will my sister ever find my safety deposit box key when I'm not even sure where it is? How long will my body lie here? Will Trixie have to resort to cannibalism in order to survive? And what will happen to Trixie?  Who wants a dog that eats all your underwear, overturns your trashcans, occasionally goes potty inside instead of outside, and costs $102 a month in maintenance medicine? And why oh why hadn't I done my dishes?

Obviously, I am writing this, so I was able to dislodge the pill.  But, this experience had me pondering death and asking the question, how many of us are prepared to die?

You know that according to the Mayan calendar, our world is doomed to end on December 21, 2012.  There are nutcases  people actually preparing for it by moving to what they perceive as safer parts of the country and stockpiling food, water, money, and guns. Check out this website if you don't believe me: http://www.survivalplan2012.com/.  Are you prepared to survive the Apocalypse? Have you done your dishes?

We don't know what the future will bring.  I truly doubt the interpretation of the Mayan calendar that predicts our demise is going to come to fruition.  So, I will finish my Christmas shopping, stay on my diet, and get my car's oil changed.  But just in case, just in case,  I plan to keep my dishes done and put away. 

4 comments:

  1. If it all ends tomorrow I would hate to think I wasted time doing my dishes. That kind of thinking also caused me to gain 20 pounds after 9/11. While most people were terrified and not thinking about food my only thought was if the plane had hit the Capitol Building I would probably have died and not had that last doughnut because I was trying to lose weight. The next morning I had that doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dishes thing is a metaphor for getting life's affairs in order. Since I don't expect the world to end on 12/21, I will be eating my donut on 12/24 and 12/25 and possibly 12/26. (That, too, is a metaphorical reference.) LOL I've eaten of the donuts of life and know that there are more of them to come.
    PS Dear friend, I'm glad you came through 9/11!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being that I'm a single mom of a 4 year old and I have serious health issues.. Including just finding out about the in curable kidney disease I have... I have taken planning for the worst very seriously.. Can't say I care bout the dishes being done lol but making sure my son will always be taken care of is something I HAVE to plan for even if that is not something I'd like to think about..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to learn about your kidney disease. If there is ever anything I can do for you, please let me know. Your's is a situation I don't take lightly.

    ReplyDelete